On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Darin Fisher <da...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 5:44 PM, <t...@chromium.org> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Brett Wilson wrote:

>> custom
>> as it
>> >
>> > Well, but you'd still have the slowness of spawing perl hundreds of
>> > times. I'm not sure that would speed up the build at all (though it
>> > would improve the dependency management).
>>
>> But you would only pay it once.  Using native vcproj files may get the
>> dependencies right and maybe you wouldn't need to do a full rebuild after
>> each sync then.  Or maybe I put too much faith in MSVC's dependency
>> management.
>>

> Right.  This is what I was thinking too.  I do clobber builds primarily
> (only?) because of issues related to DerivedSources.

>> the one
>> >
>> > I agree.
>>
>> It's not used in the scons build which properly tracks dependencies so
>> the files are only generated once.  Would Incredibuild be able to
>> parallelize the perl scripts or does it only know how to parallelize c++
>> compiles?
>>

> That's a great question :)
>
> I suspect it only runs those locally.

Without an additional extension license, only locally.  But if it only had
to do it once, that'd still be a big help.  Alternatively, if we find we
still need to speed clobber builds and are willing to move away from
DerivedSources.make, I'd expect that only launching perl once rather than
200+ times -- just move the "do this for every file in this long list" from
make into perl -- would provide a dramatic speedup.

- Pam