OK, I see what you mean: the link now points to the base copy of
depot_tools.zip. So no, I don't think we need these copies of depot_tools in
archives/ anymore. But it's still better to rename the tgz file than the
directory if you want to mark it as outdated; otherwise people's links break
for less-obvious reasons.
Hopefully none of this will matter soon, as the tarball will be updated more
often.

- Pam