On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Nick Baum <nickb...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Hey Matt,
>
> I like this new model, it's nice and simple.
>
> One thought: if chrome scripts were actual html pages, they could easily
> embed an NPAPI plugin for native code. It could have other uses too, for
> example we could allow the user to reveal this page to see settings, or
> debug information.
>
> On the other hand, I suppose we could provide this functionality in other
> ways, and keeping them as js makes them somewhat cleaner (no <html> tags).
> Any other reasons not to make them full HTML pages?

The main reason I made them scripts rather than pages is that they
won't be displayed anywhere, so I thought it would be confusing to
have extraneous HTML and a DOM.  Behind-the-scenes, they'll probably
be implemented as an empty page.

You bring up some good points, though.  I initially considered having
a single index.html which would serve as sort of an "about plugin"
page, but I didn't see a compelling use.  Now that I think about it,
that model might simplify things, and allow NPAPI plugins as you
mentioned.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about scripts vs full HTML?