If you're on Linux, you probably want to give gold,
Ian's faster replacement for ld, a whirl.

If you, like I, have been hesitating because of
the hassle of building gold from sources, hesitate
no more.  I have a patch pending to install-build-deps.sh
that installs ld as the default system linker.
(This is probably not a good idea, and I'll change
the patch to point gyp at a nonsystem copy of
gold before I check it in.)
The patch is at
http://codereview.chromium.org/115140

Tested on intrepid and hardy only.
Improvement was jaw-dropping on my systems --
life with 2GB RAM is tolerable again, and with 3GB
positively wonderful.  YMMV.
- Dan