What is the recommended procedure for working on long/big features?

In the past, I've always created a separate branch and then done all
my work there. I then do regular integrations from trunk into my
branch to ensure that that my branch doesn't drift too far out of sync
with the trunk (i.e. so as to minimize the amount of merge work I have
to do when I'm ready to have my branch-specific changes reviewed and
merged back into the trunk). However, being that chromium is hosted on
a remote SVN server which I have no control over, what is the
recommended way of doing dev?

I'd really like to be able to do commits of my incremental work, but
without a sep branch to fiddle around with, how can I accomplish this?

All input and feedback welcome.

Cheers,
Daniel