What your describing sounds exactly like a "lightweight" (i.e. only the
features you want) version of what's already out there.  (At least now that
you've ditched the "no file generation" requirement.)

Unless you have some requirements that are really important to the success
of the project/documentation that existing solutions don't satisfy, I would
strongly recommend against building your own tool.  I think it'll be harder
than you expect.