On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Darin Fisher<da...@chromium.org> wrote:
>>> An objdir-ish solution would make sense, except the native build
>>> systems we use don't really work in terms of objdirs, so we'd just
>>> wind up generating a parallel directory structure with nothing but
>>> xcode projects, Makefiles, and other similar junk.  Plus, it means
>>> that we can't supply a pre-gypped srcdir tarball, which can frustrate
>>> the snot out of casual developers.
>>
>> Maybe this could be an optional mode?  Perhaps we could use this
>> mode on the build slaves?
>
> I forgot to mention that I would personally much prefer this mode than
> having generated files in my checked out source tree.  I guess I'm very
> accustomed to an objdir solution from my Mozilla days (autoconf).
> Perhaps this objdir could even be married to the current output dirs
> used by the builds (xcodebuild, sconsbuild, chrome/Debug, etc.).

Indeed.

Here's my christmas wish: I'd like gyp and chrome to
support cross-compilation, so that I could (on my Linux box) kick
off distcc-accelerated builds for all three platforms, each one
going into a separate objdir.
It's not as farfetched as it sounds; Mac can already be built on Linux, I hear,
and a Windows build on Linux is within reach (just have to remove the
last bits of ATL and apply some elbow grease, I think).

That desire is part of what makes me want gyp output to go into
objdir -- because gyp's output is going to depend on which platform
you're building for.
- Dan