I don't think it's realistic to expect the gardener, or any one person, to
be able to fix an arbitrary broken layout test in a reasonable period of
time. That's certainly true for new tests, but even for regressions I often
can't even tell for sure whether our results are correct, much less what to
do if they're not.
It's far more efficient to have the "right" person fix a test. (Of course,
people should also strive to broaden their knowledge, but there's a limit to
how much of that one can do in a week.) Never having broken layout tests is
an excellent goal, but quite frankly I don't think it's one we should
prioritize so high that we hobble other efforts and burn out developers.

- Pam