I am author of that code, so if it's causing flaky failures I'm
obviously not happy.

So here is my explanation: there is a race. One running Chrome process
has the socket open. When the second browser process starts, it also
opens the socket. And in the test we're seeing a situation when both
have it open. I think it might be possible for some tests where we
tear down and start up the browser again in one test.

Why do we assert in the test utility function? Because it is supposed
to return the PID of the browser process holding the socket. When we
have two, we can't tell which holds the socket, and which is just
starting up and connecting to it (at least using current tools).

However, the failure in the linked log doesn't look like that. If
there was a leftover ui_tests binary, it should use different home
directory (I think).

I haven't seen this failing on the bots before, so if this happened
only recently, it may be worth it to investigate the issue directly on
the bots (higher chance to reproduce).