I would also like to point out that this is *NOT* just for "launching
chrome with index.html in the current directory".

It must work for all these cases:
   "C:\path\to\chrome.exe" index.html
   "C:\path\to\chrome.exe" .\index.html
   "C:\path\to\chrome.exe" ..\index.html
   "C:\path\to\chrome.exe" ..\lots\of\directory\names\index.html

That is, it must work for *all* path types: current directory, any
relative path, and fullpath.

So again, just copy the working code from Firefox.