On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Chris Evans <cev...@chromium.org> wrote:
> The other browsers do not support the CSS used / required for this demo.
> There was a similar version, but using SVG animation to do something very
> similar. (It's currently offline). Firefox and Opera were able to attempt
> the rotation of this one but both performed much worse that Safari and
> Chrome.
> Anyone know why Chrome, and to a certain extent Safari, are so much better
> on this non-JS test? Is the Skia library underpinning Chrome superior?

I'm not certain, but it sounds like you're comparing CSS rotations in
the Chrome/Safari case and SVG rotations in the other, so I'm not sure
it's a fair comparison.  (Unless you mean to say Chrome/Safari were
more performant for the SVG demo as well.)  Two anecdotal comments:
 - In my experience (on Linux) Firefox had really poor SVG
performance, and that (for example) canvas performs a lot better.  I
think none of the engines have done much work on SVG, in part because
basically nobody uses it on the web except for demos like this.
 - Also in my experience Chrome+Skia tends to be faster but sometimes
less smooth than Safari's CG.  See also all of Dean's Pre3d demos.

> There's also a difference between Chrome Windows and Chrome Linux. Whilst
> Chrome Linux performs smoothly, the text is clearly jiggling around and even
> getting more / less bold throughout the rotation cycle. Doesn't do that on
> Windows. Any ideas?

I don't know much about how this rotation business works, but if I had
to guess from looking at it I'd say hinting is getting involved.