Relates to advertising, propaganda, stereotypes and roles, mass mind
control, etc.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ESQFs_WAldkJ:media.utu.fi/affe\
ctive/bell.pdf+jennifer+lyon+bell&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgGWMmQL\
b4TdClJFz-9sm_FUIUfX7DheRYAoR_OUQkCavBsJTIGhlJsQ7txWWoPo-sadh7DGKp-5bVuo\
ebL7H5M1nTNMbqEQ8xg30MABCfw5BDHqs0p8Lg_JQ87n6cVnxJgg5rT&sig=AHIEtbQKVwpe\
h103LZnVdDknmrbXDlnyWw

Murray Smith, a cognitive lm theorist, is the author of the book
Engaging
Characters: Fiction, Emotion, and the Cinema (1995). In this recent
book, Smith
puts forth a theory that he believes to be applicable to most genres. He
has already
applied it successfully to melodrama, suspense, French art lm,
"Baudelairean" deca-
dent cinema, and horror lm, among others. He believes that
spectatorial emotion is
generated specically via character in lm, though the
emotions the spectator feels
do not have to match those of the character, as I will explain.
Applying Smith to pornography makes sense for three reasons:
Pornography appears to be designed exclusively to generate spectatorial
emo-
tion; Smith's entire interest is in how emotion is generated.
Most pornography, including the most prototypical kind which lm
scholar
Linda Williams focused on in her seminal book on pornography Hard Core:
Power,
Pleasure, and the `Frenzy of the Visible' (1989), includes
character and narrative
—in fact, quite a bit, as will become clear. It seems logical that
these elements are
included for some emotion-generating reason, and applying Smith to
pornography
could help parse out the reason.
In pornography, the characters are experiencing activities that,
presumably,
the spectators are trying to experience vicariously. Using Smith may
help determine
the process by which the spectator engages with the character to enable
that vicari-
ous experience.
In other analyses (e.g. Bell 2001b), I have explained that pornography
engages with character to create sexual desire in three ways: Via the
character as a
person (a process based on emotion), via the character as a body (a
process based on
imaginative bodily engagement), and by bypassing the character
completely (a proc-
ess based on physiological arousal). However, in the interests of space,
in this analy-
sis I will focus only on the rst section —the ways in which
pornography contributes
to the spectators' sexual desire by creating a character
eshed out with emotions.