You can buy into a Chilean disaster utopian community with
a golf course. Leaving the US is another notion that comes
into play, to preserve capital and avoid taxation. If you like
tornadoes and earthquakes.

Israel is a security-based economy now, writes Naomi Klein,
but such a utopia relies on capital infusion from the elsewhere.
Security biz in the US domestically is another sure to be touted
hedge, though.

Lots of generators were sold for Y2K but no innovative tech.
Rightwing thinkers are moribund; can't lead you out of a paper
bag or make you a farmer. Where's their tech leap? Where's
their social leap? If none, they're sacking the Titanic passengers
one more time.

-Bob

--- In cia-drugs@yahoogroups.com, Robert Millegan <ramille...@...>
wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: dasg...@...
> > Date: July 16, 2010 3:53:54 PM PDT
> > To: ramille...@...
> > Cc: ema...@..., j...@..., jim6...@..., christian.r...@...
> > Subject: Paranoid Wall Street: Guns Loaded, Suitcases Packed, Jets
Ready for Fast Getaway

> > Wall Street Apocalypse:
> >
> > The World of the Doomsday Investors
> >
> > By BRUCE WATSON
> > Daily Finance, July 4, 2010

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/media/wall-street-apocalypse-finances-\
doom-and-gloom-crowd/19506748/

> > Predictions of the end of civilization are nothing new, but the
direst prognosticators have, traditionally, existed on the fringes of
society, where their dark visions can be comfortably attributed to an
excess of libertarianism or a shortage of Prozac.  In the last few
years, however, something strange has happened. While there is no lack
of survivalists stockpiling cat food and rifles, some of the direst
thinkers are now working on Wall Street, where a combination of fear and
foresight has many of the country's money men contemplating their escape
routes.

> > Patron Saint of Dire Predictions
> >
> > The patron saint of the Wall Street apocalypse society may be Barton
Biggs. The leader of Traxis Partners, a multibillion-dollar hedge fund,
Biggs has gained a reputation for his dire predictions, particularly
those of his much-quoted 2008 analysis of World War II, Wealth, War and
Wisdom.  At the end of the book, Biggs offers his conclusions from his
brief study of history, suggesting the likelihood of a future era in
which "People with wealth" will face "another time of cholera when the
Four Horsemen will ride again and the barbarians unexpectedly will be at
their gate."

> > Biggs offers some interesting advice for hedging the apocalypse. In
addition to prescribing a highly diversified portfolio heavily invested
in equity instruments, Biggs also advises that his readers buy farms to
which they can retreat when the hammer drops. The hedgie touts the joys
of the natural life, noting that "landowners seem to find considerable
psychic satisfaction just from the knowledge of possession. There are
few things as fulfilling as having drinking in the sunset and looking at
your fields and cows."

> > This bucolic perspective seems to owe more to Little House on the
Prairie than to any actual experience on Biggs's part. Although the
author briefly worked as a schoolteacher and a semiprofessional soccer
player, his New York-Yale-Wall Street career track doesn't seem to have
left much time for tilling fields and milking cows.

> > Stock Essentials Like Food, Medicine, Wine...
> >
> > But this doesn't stop Biggs from telling his readers what they need
to do in order to wait out the end of the world: "Your safe haven ...
should be well-stocked with seed, fertilizer, canned food, wine,
medicine, clothes, etc. Think Swiss Family Robinson."

> > He goes on to suggest that, when the post-apocalyptic hordes attack,
the survivalist money man should shoot first and ask questions later: "A
few rounds over the approaching brigands' heads would probably be a
compelling persuader that there are easier farms to pillage. Brigands
tend to be cowards."

> > It's amusing to contemplate Biggsland, where starving gangs of
"brigands" can be frightened away by a shot from his boom stick and
precious food space can be taken up with wine. For that matter, while it
isn't hard to imagine Barton gazing upon his fields and cows, the image
of the soft-palmed money man slopping out stalls or picking cabbage
stretches the imagination.

> > Ayn Rand and Jim Rogers
> >
> > In Biggs's dark suggestion that wealthy people build rural
fortresses, he references another popular Wall Street touchstone: Ayn
Rand's Atlas Shrugged. Towards the end of the book, as frightened mobs
become feral, one of the "looters" runs away: "'[Chick Morrison] has a
hideout all stocked for himself in Tennessee,' said Tinky Holloway
reflectively, as if he, too, had taken a similar precaution and was now
wondering whether the time had come." While Wall Street's objectivists
don't see themselves as villains, many seem more than willing to follow
the lessons of Rand's demonic bad guys.

> > Biggs isn't the only one offering visions of impending economic
apocalypse. Every so often, Jim Rogers repeats his prediction that
America will be rocked by "civil and social unrest" within the next
three to five years. Then again, Rogers has long since abandoned his
homeland. In 2007, the famed investor sold his New York mansion and
relocated to Singapore, stating that "If you were smart in 1807 you
moved to London, if you were smart in 1907 you moved to New York, if you
were smart in 2007 you moved to Asia."

> > However, if Rogers was hoping to escape an impending American
meltdown, it seems that he may not have gone far enough away. After a
visit to India, he wrote, "India as we know it will not survive another
30 or 40 years. This of course does not have to end in disaster, but it
probably will."

> > Invest in Farmland and Precious Metals
> >
> > Marc Faber, another doom and gloom prognosticator, is also based in
Asia. Famed for his dark perspective, the financial adviser recently
suggested that fund managers should invest heavily in farmland and
precious metals -- the first, because it provides a safe haven, and the
second, because they are portable and liquid.

> > A fan of dark humor, Faber previously advised spending stimulus cash
on "beer and prostitutes, as these are the only products still produced
in the U.S."

> > Jokes aside, Faber's prognostications don't seem to have protected
him from making some questionable choices. After all, he built offices
in Hong Kong and Thailand. The first place was subsequently handed over
to Communist China, while the second has recently found itself embroiled
in a coup, martial law and violent protests. Faber's followers may want
to take his political and real estate advice with a grain of salt.

> > For some companies, predictions of apocalypse have been good for
business: Post Peak Living and Transition United States have both used
dark visions to build a compelling business model that can convince the
gullible and frightened to fork over cash for useless advice.

> > As for Biggs and company, their fanciful vision of the future
provides an interesting glimpse into the darker corners of the Wall
Street id. Whether Biggs's dark predictions are a reflection of his
deepest fears or fondest hopes, his unresolved guilt or continuing
belief in his own exceptionalism, his advice suggests a world in which
exploitative chickens truly come home to roost.