Ritual Abuse Conference - August 6 - 8, 2010
(please write _smartn...@aol.com_ (mailto:smartn...@aol.com)  offlist if
you are  interested in attending)
_http://ritualabuse.us/smart-conference/_
(http://ritualabuse.us/smart-conference/)

describes  crimes

Craigslist's shame: Child sex ads By Malika Saada Saar,  Special to CNN
August 4, 2010  CNN)  -- Last month, two girls  trafficked for sex through the
website Craigslist wrote an open letter to its  founder, Craig Newmark,
pleading with him to get rid of the adult services  section, where sex ads are
placed.
"I was first forced into prostitution when  I was 11 years old by a
28-year-old man," "M.C." wrote. "I am not an exception.  The man who trafficked
me
sold many girls my age, his house was called 'Daddy  Day Care.'

"All day, me and other girls sat with our laptops, posting  pictures and
answering ads on Craigslist. He made $1,500 a night selling my  body, dragging
me to Los Angeles, Houston, Little Rock -- and one trip to Las  Vegas in
the trunk of a car. I am 17 now, and my childhood memories aren't of my
family, going to middle school, or dancing at the prom. They are making my own
arrangements on Craigslist to be sold for sex, and answering as many ads as
possible for fear of beatings and ice water baths."
No one from Craigslist  responded to M.C....

According to the most recent Department of Justice  statistics, an
estimated 100,000 to 300,000 children are sold for sex every year  in the
United
States. Most are from 11 and 14 years old. Try for a moment to  imagine your
fifth-grade child, niece or sister, sold for sex. Law enforcement  officials
and anti-trafficking organizations have repeatedly asked Craigslist to  rein
in its sex ads in an effort to stop the selling of children for  sex.

Craig Newmark and Craigslist CEO Jim Buckmaster have made some  efforts to
screen the site for children sold for sex and cooperate with law
enforcement investigations. But for the most part, they have ignored such
pleas,
maybe because they just made an estimated $36 million in profits from these sex

ads in the last year alone.
_http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/08/02/saar.craigslist.child.trafficking/ind
ex.html_
(http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/08/02/saar.craigslist.child.trafficking/index.html)

Craigslist vigilant in barring child sex ads By Jim Buckmaster,  Special to
CNN August 4, 2010
Editor's note: Jim Buckmaster is president and  CEO of Craigslist, the most
used classified advertising service in any medium,  relied on by more than
50 million Americans each month for finding jobs,  housing, secondhand
items, friendship, romance, services, events and local  community information.

San Francisco, California (CNN) -- As all people  of conscience will agree,
human trafficking and child exploitation are utterly  despicable and
horrendous crimes.
In contrast with the epidemic numbers often  cited for the nation as a
whole, the incidence of such crimes is low and getting  lower on Craigslist
because of the comprehensive preventive measures we have  taken. Some experts
now liken the relative rarity on Craigslist to "looking for  a needle in a
haystack."

Nevertheless, any misuse of our site whatsoever  in facilitating such
unspeakable crimes is unacceptable, and we will continue to  work tirelessly,
in
tandem with law enforcement and key nonprofits, to ensure  that any victims
receive the assistance they desperately need and deserve, and  that those
responsible are imprisoned....Last year, we began manual screening of  each
adult services ad before its posting, and those unwilling to conform to
Craigslist's standards left in droves for the many venues that do not screen
ads. This migration is a matter of public record.
_http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/08/04/buckmaster.craigslist.rebuttal/index.
html_
(http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/08/04/buckmaster.craigslist.rebuttal/index.html)

Craigslist founder rendered speechless by CNN’s sex-trafficking  questions
Aug 4, 2010 by Liz Goodwin The popular online classified ad site  Craigslist
is set to make about a third of its total revenue from its "adult
services" ads section this year. But police and groups working to prevent human

trafficking tell CNN the company is lining its pockets with money paid by
prostitutes and pimps selling sex. According to anti-trafficking advocates,
some
 of the women featured on the site are underage and are being forced into
prostitution against their will. When CNN reporter Amber Lyon confronted
Craigslist founder Craig Newmark with these accusations in an unplanned
interview, the Internet magnate said his company was doing "more than anyone"
combat prostitution ads, before falling silent and eventually walking away
from  her questions....

Lyon showed Newmark Craigslist ads that clearly  involved women soliciting
money for sex. Newmark asked, "Have you reported this  to us?" "Why do I
have the responsibility to report this to you when it's your  website? You're
the one posting this online," she said. Lyon also told Newmark  that
anti-trafficking advocates say his site is the "Wal-Mart of sex  trafficking."
Soon
after, Newmark walked away.
_http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100804/us_yblog_upshot/craigslist-fo
under-rendered-speechless-by-cnns-sex-trafficking-questions_
(http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100804/us_yblog_upshot/craigslist-founder-rendered-
speechless-by-cnns-sex-trafficking-questions)