On the international level, that same year, at the Bank for International
Settlements-BIS in Basle, Switzerland, set up a new global entity called the
Financial Stability Forum-FSF. It was comprised of regulators from the Group of
Seven countries with a mandate to police the global level for problems.

FINANCIAL REFORM: THE FINAL CON GAME

By Joan Veon
April 26, 2010

There are those who have been talking about a single global regulator for years
and as a result of the 2008 Credit Crisis, there have been calls to protect you
and me from future banking crises through new financial reform. However, we had
better consider its real impact. It is not about protecting you and me it is
about changing the national regulatory laws of America to conform to a world
governmental system and globalizing the last barrier separating individual
nation-states. It is about a major power grab of America’s financial assets. As
a result of the high stakes, we should ask if Republicans are being told they
had better vote for financial reform so we don’t have another
September/October, 2008? All of a sudden Senators McConnell and Shelby have had
a sea change and are willing to work together on changing our banking system.
It is a ruse, a con game when they say they are making the system safer. Let us
review some necessary points.

As we consider the events of the past 18 months, we are confronted with a great
deal of action, uncertainty, negativity, and pillaging of wealth. In order to
understand where we are today and where we are going, we need to review the
chicanery of the past eleven years.

One of the keynote events was the repeal of the 1933 Glass-Steagall Act in 1999
which we were told was necessary for banking modernization. In June 1999 then
Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin said, “Reforming international financial
institutions, strengthening the international financial architecture and
maintaining open markets are not simply questions of economics but politics.”
That same year, after a great deal of media and stock market hype and hysteria,
Congress passed the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act-GLB which tore down all the
protections that the Glass-Steagall Act had put in place, including the
separation of commercial banking from investment banking to protect the
investor. It also allowed for U.S. banks to become “financial conglomerates”
meaning they could expand their services to sell insurance, stocks and bonds
and perform the once outlawed investment banking services, which opened the
doors for derivatives, now at the heart of the problem. It also allowed for
American banks, insurance companies and brokerage firms to buy foreign banks,
insurance companies and brokerage firms while allowing them to come in and buy
ours. Were there any regulatory changes? No. In fact it was known that the SEC
was not beefing up their forces to police and monitor the newly expanded
financial architecture.

On the international level, that same year, at the Bank for International
Settlements-BIS in Basle, Switzerland, set up a new global entity called the
Financial Stability Forum-FSF. It was comprised of regulators from the Group of
Seven countries with a mandate to police the global level for problems. In an
interview with Svein Andressen, its managing director, he told me in response
to a question I raised in 2000 that “there was no guarantee” that they would be
successful. Today, as a result of the G20 meetings in 2009, it has been
reinvented into a larger body comprised of regulators from the G20 countries.
It truly is more of a global regulator than it once was with only seven
countries.

At the BIS and other think tanks there was a myriad of white papers calling for
a consolidation of regulators and to change the national regulatory laws, now
that the U.S. had passed GLB. Federal Reserve Board Vice Chairman Donald L.
Kohn gave a speech in Sea Island, Georgia in May, 2007 in which he discussed
the rise of credit derivatives and their marriage with securitization
technologies called collateralized debt obligations-CDOs. While stating that
“these developments have made the financial system more resilient to shocks,”
he also said,

  We need to accept that accidents will happen—that asset prices will
fluctuate, often over wide ranges and those fluctuations will be driven in part
by trading strategies, by the cycles of greed and fear that have always been
with us and by the ebb and flow of competition for market share. The
fluctuations will result in redistributions of wealth, and on occasion, will
confront us with financial crises.

He then went on to explain some of the changes that needed to be made and
commented,

  In all of this work, coordination and cooperation among regulators,
domestically and internationally are critical because the same firms are the
core firms in each of the principal global financial centers.

Lastly, he stated, “In sum, there are good reasons to think that financial
innovation over the past few decades, including the emergence and growth of the
credit derivatives markets, has made the financial system and the economy more
resilient.”

That year saw a number of headlines and articles calling for a “global
regulator.” One written by Kenneth Rogoff read, “No grand plans, but the
financial system needs fixing.” Another headline read, “Wanted: a guardian of
the world’s financial system.”

In 2007, there was what was considered at first a minor problem in the subprime
mortgage market—nothing to worry about. The market dropped from a high in July,
2007 of 14,022 to 12,518 that August before recovering that same year in
October to the 14,198 level, an all time high. The Dow had risen 94% or 6,878
points since the low point of October 9, 2002. By August, 2008 the market had
dropped to 11,483.

Hank Paulson, our second treasury secretary from Wall Street, had issued his
“Blueprint for a Modernized Financial Regulatory System” in March, 2008. It
called for a total revamping of all of America’s assets that were not under
control of the Federal Reserve: the entire mortgage industry, banks that were
not regulated by the Fed, credit unions, state chartered thrifts, and the
insurance industry. The Fed was at the center of all the newly proposed
commissions. In other words, a total take over of financial assets not under
their control was at stake.

Is anyone putting two plus two together? The Federal Reserve is a private
corporation so they do not issue an annual report and no one knows who their
shareholders are. This company controls the entire monetary system of the
United States which means they create the ups and the downs in the stock market
and business cycle. They control credit. If they want to destroy the small
businessman, they just stop issuing credit—like they are doing now. The Paulson
Blueprint was blatant about them seizing control over all the other major
financial assets they don’t control.

September 2008 found Congress in a heap of distress. When you consider the
bombardment that we all went through, we have never seen or experienced
anything like this since the British bombed the Baltimore Harbor in 1814 which
is where the term “shock and awe” first came from. In September, we saw: the
U.S. government seize Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers collapsed and
Merrill Lynch was purchased by Bank of America, AIG was bailed out with
government money, Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs converted to bank holding
companies, the government seized Washington Mutual which became the largest
banking failure in the U.S., and Wachovia was taken over by Wells Fargo.

In the midst of shock and awe, the front page of the September 18, 2008
Washington Post read “Stocks Plummet as Lending Freezes Up.” It said that
“Lawmakers left on the sidelines as Fed, Treasury take Swift action.” The text
read,

  The frenetic pace of the financial crisis has forced the Treasury Department
and Federal Reserve to make rapid-fire decisions in recent days, leaving
Capitol Hill lawmakers effectively impotent—and frustrated. Lawmakers on both
sides have expressed concern yesterday that have had had no control over when
and how federal money has been used to curb the panic on Wall Street.
Congressional leaders learned of the rescue late Tuesday during a hastily
called meeting. Paulson and Bernanke have taken the lead, not only from
lawmakers but from President Bush.

In order to get Congress to pass the TARP monies and the additional powers for
the Treasury Secretary, the stock market began to drop. On September 29 when
the House rejected the bailout plan, it dropped more than 700 points. By
October 10, the Dow had dropped to 7773.71. The week of October 11, 2008 saw
the Dow drop by 22% or $8.4T from 2007 market highs. This was its worst week
ever in its 112 year history. Who was boss? Those who control the monetary
system including the stock market of the United States. Could this happen
again? I have maintained that it could given the fact that the biggest change
would be to pass the Paulson Blueprint which has been reinvented as the Obama
“New Foundation.” I am amazed that nineteen/twenty months after
September/October, 2008, the stock market is at a high: 11,125 which may mean
if Congress does not pass financial regulation, it could drop back to the March
9, 2009 low. So how did we get in this position again?

On early October, Hank Paulson told and gave his word to senators that he would
only use his additional powers in an extreme emergency. Eleven days later on
October 14, he nationalized America’s banking system by giving $250B to Bank of
America, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, Bank of New York Mellon, JP Morgan, Morgan
Stanley, State Street Bank and Wells Fargo. The Dow had dropped a total of 41%
from the year earlier. Talk about warfare. No guns, no bullets but trillions of
dollars transferred out of investors pockets, causing major destruction to
America’s middle class. Throughout all of the various congressional sessions,
both the Treasury Secretary and the Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke
called for regulatory reform. This has been the mantra for a long time.

President Obama came into office in January, 2009. The stock market reached a
severe low of 6,547 on March 9. From this point, the market started to rise. To
date it is around 11,000, a rise of 4,453 points. Obama rolled out his version
of Paulson’s Blueprint on June 17. It did not call for the Federal Reserve to
chair all of the proposed committees like Paulson’s, but it did call for the
Treasury Secretary to chair key committees and, in Section V, it called for
very strong international regulatory standards and improved international
cooperation. It stated that the,

  United States is playing a very strong leadership role in efforts to
coordinate International financial policy through the G20, the Financial
Stability Board, and the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision.

The Obama Financial Regulatory Reform called for the Financial Stability Board
to be restructured and institutionalized on the international level and for
national authorities to implement the G20 commitments made in London in 2009
which included “supervisory colleges” that would be able to assess danger.

For the first part of 2010, financial reform took a back seat to health reform
and on March 15, Senator Dodd rolled out his version of regulatory reform,
leaving behind any kind of bi-partisanship that junior Senator Bob Corker had
given earlier. A day after the passage of the healthcare bill on March 21,
Senator Dodd pushed through the Senate Banking Committee a vote for the bill he
authored six days earlier. This basically was a coup d’état over the Republican
Party.

Sadly, most Americans are not aware of the marketing savvy that has gone into
changing their minds and covering up the fraud perpetrated on them. Regulatory
reform has gone from a “Bailout of Wall Street” to a “Bailout of Main Street.”
There is now a movement by Republicans after the Security and Exchange
Commissions first indictment in ten years of the biggest bank on Wall Street,
Goldman Sachs, to move Congress into bi-partisanship. It has worked.

Sadly in light of the fact that Goldman Sachs has given untold millions to our
currently seated politicians in Congress and $1M to Obama for his election
campaign, the Republicans have decided to play “nice” at the wrong time. Or is
it the wrong time? Are they being vigilant and protecting us against another
40% drop in the stock market or are they part of the con game?

Recently, in commenting on how Wall Street makes its money, Jim Santelli from
CNBC said, “Where does Wall Street make its money? In murky deals. The more
murkier, the more money they make.” In the April 23, 2010 Financial Times,
their editorial commented on Obama’s legislation,

  Prospects are good that the eventual reform will be a big step forward. But
one should not expect too much even of a significantly improved system. As the
economy recovers and financial markets’ appetite for risk revives, the chief
danger may lie in placing too much confidence in the new arrangements.
Financial regulation is, and always will be, a work in progress.

The truth is the stakes were very high for regulatory reform or else we would
not have had all the activities of September/October 2008. The bottom line is
the consolidation of power by the central banks all over the world. Through the
enlarged structure of the Bank for International Settlements and the newly
restructured and empowered global regulatory agency, the Financial Stability
Board, all of the world’s assets are being shifted to a place where they are
fair game for central bankers. All you have to do is study the arrangements on
the national and global level. This is the con game of all the centuries--it is
a colossal robbery of our nation and people.

If you cannot see from the above all of the boldfaced lies and grab of
America’s financial assets, then you/we deserve what’s coming. Lastly, we can
see that the next goal of these powerbrokers is a national sales tax so that we
can reduce our debt. America is being stripped of her assets and her citizens
are being put in greater and greater bondage through usury and taxation! It is
only heaven that can help us now.

© 2010 Joan Veon - All Rights Reserved