Here is an AP Story. Here is CNN's account. And Howard Kurtz's. See
Instapundit.

This is the statement Eason Jordan released tonight around 6:00 pm
EST:

After 23 years at CNN, I have decided to resign in an effort to
prevent CNN from being unfairly tarnished by the controversy over
conflicting accounts of my recent remarks regarding the alarming
number of journalists killed in Iraq.

I have devoted my professional life to helping make CNN the most
trusted and respected news outlet in the world, and I would never do
anything to compromise my work or that of the thousands of talented
people it is my honor to work alongside.

While my CNN colleagues and my friends in the U.S. military know me
well enough to know I have never stated, believed, or suspected that
U.S. military forces intended to kill people they knew to be
journalists, my comments on this subject in a World Economic Forum
panel discussion were not as clear as they should have been.

I never meant to imply U.S. forces acted with ill intent when U.S.
forces accidentally killed journalists, and I apologize to anyone
who thought I said or believed otherwise. I have great admiration
and respect for the men and women of the U.S. armed forces, with
whom I have worked closely and been embedded in Baghdad, Tikrit, and
Mosul, in addition to my time with American soldiers, sailors,
Marines, and airmen in Afghanistan, former Yugoslavia, Somalia,
Kuwait, Bahrain, and the Arabian Gulf.

As for my colleagues at CNN, I am enormously proud to have worked
with you, risking my life in the trenches with you, and making CNN
great with you. For that experience, and for your friendship and
support these many years, I thank you.

I told Howard Kurtz I was surprised and didn't know of any firing
offense. Of course I haven't seen the tape.

11pm: Kurt'z story is out: "Eason Jordan resigned last night as
CNN's chief news executive in an effort to quell a bubbling
controversy over his remarks about U.S. soldiers killing journalists
in Iraq." Read it. He quotes me correctly:

Jay Rosen [said] he didn't think Jordan "had engaged in a firing
offense." Bloggers "made a lot of noise" about the Jordan flap,
Rosen said. "But there was basic reporting going on — finding the
people who were there, getting them to make statements, comparing
one account to another — along with accusations and conspiracy
thinking and the politics of paranoia and attacks on the MSM, or
mainstream media."
Here's one try at an explanation. The primary sources are my earlier
post on Jordan's job being political and diplomatic (the Colin
Powell of the news division but very definitely a journalist by
tribal affiliation); plus the comments of Rebecca MacKinnon; and
this comment from a "veteran journalist" in tonight's thread,
otherwise nameless. It also picks up from the terse Glenn
Reynolds: "I think we know what the video would have shown, now."
It's only a possible explanation, but plausible in my view.

The tape had to be a disaster. But what kind? When Jordan and others
at CNN looked at it, they must have seen a man making statements
that went beyond what the network had been able to prove in its news
reporting. He had wandered into the territory of assertion, some
hearsay, and of things you feel you know are true even though you
can't get anyone on the record to say it.
By speaking in this way before an audience of influentials, Jordan
allowed there to be (some) daylight between the military reporting
the rest of the world had seen on CNN and the "report" that Jordan,
its chief news executive, was willing to offer the in crowd in
Davos. But there can never be that daylight. As "veteran journo"
said: "If the standard of proof wasn't good enough to get it on CNN,
it's not good enough to discuss at a forum in Davos."

Ordinarily the lapse would not be noticed, and would not become
public. That was before the WEF created a participants' blog.
Rebecca MacKinnon, who once worked for Eason Jordan at CNN (bio): "I
think Eason Jordan resigned because he knew that if the Davos tape
came out it would make the situation worse, not better." (Worse
because the "lower standard of proof" is plainly in evidence at
certain moments.) Her post is a must.

I know there are a number of people involved with the World Economic
Forum who think the WEF needs to completely re-think its
media/blogging and on/off record policies. It was a great thing that
the WEF started a blog this year, inviting conference participants
to post their impressions and thoughts. I encouraged them to do
this. Unfortunately, the WEF's operating norms are not compatible
with the age of the blog. Jordan's demise is the frightening result.

Yahoo! Groups Links