http://www.mercopress.com/Detalle.asp?NUM=6205
Tuesday, 09 August
Brazilian military had plans to build atomic bomb

Former Brazilian president Jose Sarney revealed that the military
dictatorship that ruled Brazil for two decades (1964/1985) had plans to
build an atomic bomb but the initiative was discarded once democracy was
restored in the country.

Mr. J. Sarney

It had long been suspected that the Brazilian military were very much intent
in developing atomic energy and the bomb, but this is the first time it has
been confirmed.
Mr. Sarney, the first elected civilian to rule Brazil following the
dictatorship said in an interview Sunday on the O'Globo television net that
he first heard of the project when he was informed of a very deep drill in
the northern state of Para apparently for underground atomic testing.

Mr. Sarney became president in 1985 following the death of Tancredo Neves
who had been nominated president by Congress, following a gradual democratic
opening agreed with the military. Mr. Sarney ruled for five years until 1989
and is currently Senator.

The former president added he found out about the atomic bomb plan a year
after taking office when the National Security Council informed him of the
existence of the testing grounds in Cachimbo, state of Para.

"I was taken by surprise. At the same time I was concerned about the fact it
should not become public news because it would interfere with the close
relations we were building with Argentina", revealed Mr. Sarney.

Actually in August 1986 the Brazilian press reported that drilling works
were taking place in the Cachimbo sierra with the purpose of atomic
underground testing.

The president Sarney replied at the time, "that issue has not been on my
desk", but nineteen years later he admits having misled Brazilian public
opinion.

"I ordered the Security Council chairman to immediately seal whatever they
were drilling in Cachimbo and simultaneously announce that the purpose was
to store nuclear waste".

Mr. Sarney said that at the time Argentina and Brazil, political rivals in
the region for decades were looking for closer relations, and admitting the
existence of the underground testing area would have been interpreted "we
were in a nuclear race".

"The Argentines were also involved in nuclear activities, but as happened
with Brazil they also denied it".

Finally in 1991 Argentine president Carlos Menem and his Brazilian
counterpart Fernando Collor de Melo signed an agreement for the peaceful use
of nuclear energy.

According to Mr. Sarney, during negotiations Brazil became aware that
Argentina was ten years ahead in nuclear research.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS