from a blogger on UTNE

Here's a juicy e-mail I got from a Hill staffer. Blog Tools
 EMAIL
 PRINT
 16 COMMENTS

A Democratic Hill staffer we'll call "Dobby" sent me the goods on
Fitzgerald.
I just got this e-mail from a Democratic House member's staffer with
tons of good dirt on the Plame investigation. I'm reprinting it
whole cloth to share all, and show that while these Hill staffers
are well-informed, they sure could use some capitalization classes.

Among the things I hadn't seen before:

-Fred Flights, an assistant to John Bolton, is a named name who
could be indicted.

-Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham have been suggested as
replacements for Dick Cheney.

-Colin Powell told John McCain he showed the infamous memo with
Plame's identity on it two just two people; Dick Cheney and George
Bush.

-Fitzgerald is looking at the precedent set from the indictment of
Tricky Dick's veep Spiro Agnew to pursue against Cheney.

That's red meat folks.

Text of the e-mail:

below, some extremely sensitive information about the impending
conclusion of the valerie plame investigations. the sources include
two senior members of senate and key staffers; counsel for
individuals that have been called before the grand jury; and two
journalists taking a lead position in investigating the case. the
following represents a composite of the information from those
sources.

plamegate coming to conclusion. the investigation has focused mostly
closely on vice president cheney and his staff, as well as us
ambassador to the un (and former undersecretary of state for arms
control) john bolton and his staff. we are told that eight
indictments have already prepared, with the possibility of another
ten. these indictments include senior white house staff, most
notably vice president cheney's chief of staff scooter libby, fred
flights (special assistant to john bolton), and--very surprisingly--
national security adviser steve hadley. apparently, libby and hadley
have both been told by their lawyers to expect indictments. the
indictment of senior bush political advisor karl rove seems highly
probable.

most critically, a plea bargain process has evidently been opened
with vice president cheney's lawyer. that does not mean that an
indictment is coming. but i've some critical background around the
issue.

in the past several days, former secretary of state colin powell had
a meeting with senator john mccain (R-AZ), primarily about the
mccain-sponsored amendment on inserting a rider prohibiting torture
onto the us defense budget (a bill which powell has himself been
lobbying heavily for, against objections of president bush).

during the meeting, powell recounted to the senator that he had
traveled on air force one with bush and cheney, and brought to their
attention a classified memorandum about the issue of whether there
was indeed a transaction inolving niger and yellow cake uranium. the
document included ambassador joe wilson's involvement and identified
his wife, valerie plame, as a covert agent. the memorandum further
stated that this information was secret. powell told mccain that he
showed that memo only to two people--president and vice president.
according to powell, cheney fixated on the wilson/plame connection,
and plame's status.

powell testified about this exchange in great length to the grand
jury investigating the plame case. according to sources close to the
case, powell appeared convinced that the vice president played a
focal role in disclosing plame's undercover status.

in his conversation with mccain, powell felt that--at a minimum--
there would be a serious shakeup at national security council as a
consequence. in particular, vice president cheney would no longer
hold a pivotal role in us national security affairs. powell
apparently did not discuss the potential of a cheney resignation.

lead prosecutor patrick fitzgerald has apparently been looking at
the precedent of formerly indicted nixon vice president spiro agnew.
this shows the likely path, because addressing executive immunity
and privilege questions would necessarily begin start with a plea-
bargain deal that would entail a resignation.

this is all likely to occur within the next week. 28 october (next
friday) is the last day of the grand jury, and no requests have been
made to extend their session. the investigator is expecting to wrap
up by then.

there are enormous implication for what would be the biggest white
house shakeup since the iran-contra scandal in the reagan era.
president bush's approval rating at 39% has already led to a
significant decrease in policy efficacy with key legislators in
congress. i'll spin out the broader policy implications when i have
some time to write at greater length, but i wanted to get this out
immediately.

one interesting point though--it is worth noting that a parade of
senior republican senators have evidently been privately pushing
mccain to lobby to be cheney's replacement. senator lindsey graham
(R-SC) has also been mentioned. meanwhile, the white house has
already been developing countermeasures--notably including senior
white house officials privately voicing president bush's
disappointment in karl rove's involvement in the case, calling
it "misconduct." an urgent search for a rove replacement is already
underway.

« The AlterNet Blogs    « Jan Frel

Comments Give Us Feedback »
Tools: [Post a new comment] [Login] [Signup]  View:  Threaded
Minimal Flat Flat Unthreaded
interesting for sure
Posted by: beetruetoyou on Oct 19, 2005 1:51 PM    [Report this
comment]

It's about damn time. We'll see if anything really comes of this.
Afraid to get my hopes up. It will greatly restore my faith in our
system if it does. If not, it will be tough to believe in democracy
at all anymore. Hope your sources know what they're talking about.

rwpowell
Posted by: rwpowell on Oct 19, 2005 1:51 PM    [Report this comment]

Uh, since the president and vice president NEVER fly on the same
plane, has this staffer got the rest of his RUMIT straight?

Regardless, still looking forward to seeing Rove "frog marched" out
of the White House.

» RE: rwpowell Posted by: Jan Frel

» RE: rwpowell Posted by: cold2touch

» RE: rwpowell Posted by: jca

Shades of Watergate?
Posted by: navistic50 on Oct 19, 2005 3:42 PM    [Report this
comment]

I must say I throughly enjoyed reading this article/e-mail. To tell
you the truth, it reminds me of the types of cloak & dagger stuff of
Woodward and Bernstein. And I am hopeful as well that this intel is
close to becoming acccurate and a reality.

Yes, Virginia, there are roosting chickens
Posted by: Velos on Oct 19, 2005 5:23 PM    [Report this comment]

Oh! Thank You; Thank You, GOD!

"Dont-cha just love it when a plan comes together?

Ok, now bring out the marshmallows, and squirt that lighter
fluid......

McCain as W's Veep...
Posted by: sgtmartin1 on Oct 19, 2005 5:29 PM    [Report this
comment]

Ha!

I bet the only way to get Himself to agree with that is to make John
move to Cheney's old bunker and never say a word.

Dubya is said to be sensitive to people upstaging him. McCain is
drawn to TV cameras like DeLay's drawn to corporate cash.

New on EWM: Fitzgerald Issues Frog-Marching Guidelines

Confused
Posted by: richards1052 on Oct 20, 2005 1:52 AM    [Report this
comment]

Is this fiction or fact? If the author means it as fact, then why
the silly photo graphic? If fiction, then why didn't she/he even
allude to that fact (other than through the graphic). This scandal
is already too byzantine & operatic to allow people to be confused
between fiction & fact.

The fact that an earlier commenter noted that POTUS & VPOTUS don't
travel on the same plane indicates this is fiction. If so, why not
say so?

let them eat yellow cake
Posted by: cold2touch on Oct 20, 2005 6:31 AM    [Report this
comment]

wouldn't it be poetic justice if the grand jury, in tradition of
grand inquisition, employed torture to obtain various admissions
from accused GOP-ers? I am not sure that Powell and McCain would
object, there is always that honorable exception to the general
rule. And the Supreme Court would refuse to intervene and a Merry
Christmas to us all.

Oh, no, who is going to keep "Gods annointed" from taking on the
world?
Posted by: Pepper on Oct 20, 2005 7:30 AM    [Report this comment]

Well, that means Bush will be without a handler and given all the
insights about his erratic and crazy behavior in the White House
from Capitol Hill Blue its a real concern.

Don't forget, the word out is he is drinking and drugging again and
he was on the edge before when he was clean, so he could push that
button and poof we are all gone.

I am celebrating just like everyone else, but we need to look deeper
into the implications of these moves. Also, do you think martial law
will be declared before the indictments can come down???? They have
been touting that bird flu for two weeks now.

Any thoughts on these two points????

» RE: yes, I will comment Posted by: cyclone

McCain...
Posted by: magistre on Oct 20, 2005 9:55 AM    [Report this comment]

If John McCain were made V.P. he'll probably have less "freedom"
than when he was in 'Nam.

And as far as the Bushzis declaring 'marshall law" goes, who's going
to stop him? He owns Congress and the Supreme Court. You know, just
like "Uncle" Adolph: first get "legitimately elected", then
the "Reich-stag fire", then "Hero for Life"!

» RE: McCain... Posted by: jca

Only if Cheney takes all the baggage...
Posted by: Thxs1138 on Oct 20, 2005 4:50 PM    [Report this comment]

... would Team Bush have him resign. If Team Bush could wrap up all
the Iraq trouble, CIA Leak, and Katrina into a nice package then
they'll let him resign. But Cheney wears the pants in the Team Bush
family and like Rumsfield ain't going no where. Its a fantasy, just
like Rove leaving, the only thing we'll be talking about in November
is how they got away with it, again. Nobody will be falling on their
sword for Team Bush they don't need to. November 2006 is a long way
off and so is 2008. All they have to do is bring out the boogie man
(Osama) again and you'll all vote Republican.. again.

Plame, as far as J Q Public is concerned, is about freedom of the
press and protecting sources. The media has done a fine job on
keeping the real issues far from the public eye. Not only is Robert
Novak almost never mentioned. No one has even reminded the President
of his first commitment about the CIA leak and that was to fire
anyone involved... soon replaced with if anyone is convicted of a
crime they're fired - well obviously. But I'm sure Rove could
telecommute from prison.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble but your country is lost - its a
theocratic corporatist state now. Had the Plame case been given the
attention it needed from day one then Team Bush would be seating in
a jail cell for high treason and someone else would be in the White
House.

Many thanks...
Posted by: vlglees on Oct 20, 2005 6:45 PM    [Report this comment]

Many thanks to the House staffer for the email and to Jan for
posting it. Very very interesting.

An ex-repub

http://us.click.yahoo.com/VpgUKB/pzNLAA/cUmLAA/vseplB/TM