Hi Hanssen,

> This is real interesting to hear. I think I have the possibility to
> output uncompressed 1440x1080i50 as 4:2:2 digital data from my Sony FX7E
> camera/EIP via HDMI. Therefore also I plan to buy a BM Intensity Pro,
> and have a handful related questions:
>
> Q1
> Are there other hardware requirements (CPU, RAM etc) to "work with"
> (capture, playback, edit, encode, decode) uncompressed 1080i50 YCbCr
> 4:2:2 (UYVY) video?

No. Of course a powerfull CPU is desired for encoding, and a RAID-0 is
also a need for writing in realtime your uncompressed HD footage.

> Q2
> Any especial BM driver setup on Linux to get this to work?
> What more features will become available with the next BM Media Express
> 2.0 software on Linux?

I tested the driver in x86 and in x86_64.
There is no Media Express yet for Linux - I just get the raw samples from
the card (using my code) and send them using pipes or store them directly
to the disk.
I think include support for capturing using kino and/or cinelerra is the
way to go.

> Q3
> To compare with compressed 1080i50 HDV (1440x1080, 4:2:0, 25Mbit/s)
> which like DV25 needs disk space about 13GB/hour included audio, what
> disk space pr hour is required for uncompressed 1440x1080i50 YCbCr 4:2:2
> (UYVY)?

Do the math yourself (last email I did some draft of the arithmetic), but
believe - its much more (lets say, ~150Mbit/s).

> Q4
> Is uncompressed 1440x1080i50 YCbCr 4:2:2 (UYVY) a suitable or even
> native format to edit/render in Cinelerra, and better than using
> compressed 1080i50 HDV?

probably yes, if you pack it into a mov container.
but remember you'll need a fast disk system.

> Q5
> Encoding uncompressed 1440x1080i50 YCbCr 4:2:2 (UYVY) with the more
> effective x264 compression at a high data rate up to max 40 Mbit/s for
> Blu-Ray disks, I expect this should make it possible to get a
> considerable higher video quality (especial colors) distribution format
> than possible from usual HDV (M2T) (?)

probably yes.

Cheers,
Rafael Diniz