Hi Einar,
I must disagree with you.

If you take a look at the old videodev.h, there is this statement:

 *      Video for Linux version 1 - OBSOLETE
 *
 *      Header file for v4l1 drivers and applications, for
 *      Linux kernels 2.2.x or 2.4.x.
 *
 *      Provides header for legacy drivers and applications

And now it's gone.
There is no such device you're saying that have only v4l1 driver. V4L1 is
not present in kernel for a long long time (only the V4L1 compatibility
layer was there).
Anyone using kernel 2.4?
IMHO, the correct way to support V4L1 is using libv4l.

Of course we could commit videodev.h inside our cinelerra tree in order to
get rid of the libv4l dependency for those still using kernel <= 2.6.37 or
that don't need V4L support at all.

Best regards,
Rafael Diniz