Shibu Nair wrote:

> If anybody could remember, what is the 802.5 optional field
> other than RIF. ?
> Thank you
> Shibu

The question doesn't make a lot of sense without any context, but the only
thing I can think of is that the 802.2 LLC header is optional. LLC
encapsulates upper-layer data. But 802.5 Token ring has a bunch of MAC
frames that don't have any upper-layer data. They are just used for managing
the ring. They include:

duplicate address test
active monitor present
standby monitor present
beacong
soft error report

Other than that, I can't think of anything that is optional. All the fields
in an 802.5 header must appear. The RIF and LLC headers are optional though.

Priscilla