- jvd wrote:

jvd, it's nice to have you on the list.

It looks like you post using the Web site. A lot of people do GroupStudy via
e-mail. They can't tell what your messages refer to. They seem like orphans.
When posting from the Web, please press the Quote button first and then add
comments, and your messages will arrive with some context. Thanks.

> Hello Pieter,
>
> As you know delay is one of the problems with VSAT. You can do
> nothing about hops to the satellite and back. What you need is
> some prioritization/QoS in your network for the voice traffic.
> There are various ways to do this.

But is prioritization and QoS even worthy bothering with for traffic going
to a satellite? Wouldn't that be sort of like priorizing which bus leaves
the New York bus station first to avoid delay going to San Francisco? The
few minutes saved by letting the San Fran bus leave before the Philadelphia
bus are completely irrelvant compared the many days it takes to get to San
Fran.

On routers, the few nanoseconds saved by outputting voice first are
irrelvant compared to the hundreds of milliseconds to reach the satellite.

> I don't have personal experience with AutoQoS but it's a new
> feature supported on the Cisco routers and switches - check it
> out: (you may need a CCO login)
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk543/tk759/tk879/tech_protoco
> l_home.html
>
> My other suggestion is for if you want to get into the details
> to configure your equipment manually, is to have a look at the
> QDM (QoS Device Manager). This is a web based tool that is free
> from Cisco's website.
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps2063/index.h
> tml
>
> And then my final suggestion is to have a look at RSVP
> (Resource Reservation Protocol). This protocol will reserve
> bandwith for your application along the transmission path.
>
> Regards,
> Janó
>
> PS. Nice to see fellow SAfricans on the forum.

I thought you were from Brazil?! Now I am curious! :-)

Priscilla