"I can't fail it a second time..."

You'd better lose that attitude now.  If you really can't fail it a second
time, then you had better stop now.  I hope you will not give up, though.  I
just suggest you alter your attitude and expectations.

To get the CCIE, you will need to be prepared to try and fail.  If you
cannot afford to take the written test more than once, you will be under too
much pressure when it comes to the expensive Lab exam.  Very few people pass
that on the first try.

There is no shame in failing a Cisco written test these days (not that there
ever was).  I passed the CCIE Lab on the second attempt and a few months
later failed the Cisco Pix Firewall Exam again and again (after having
always passed Cisco written tests on the first try.)

The Cisco written tests these days are tough, tough, tough.  I hope you will
continue pursuing your goal.  Be prepared to take longer than you would like
and when the horse throws you, get right back on.

Your idea of doing some lab scenarios in preparation for the written test
sounds like a good one, but make sure that you also do a lot more book study
of theory and the wide range of technologies that are on the written exam
blueprint.  If you are uncomfortable with an area, become comfortable with
it.  Embrace it.  It is satisying to get to the point where you actually
want questions on subjects that you used to dread.

Tom Larus, CCIE #10,014

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]