=?iso-8859-1?q?Gerard=20Torin?= wrote:

> Hi Dom, we did test with TFY aplication, generating a burst
> traffic of 3000 bytes UDP.

Where is the testing being done? Is it through a path that actually handles
a 3000-byte packet without IP fragmentation? ATM might default to a high
MTU, but if you're starting on Ethernet, then you can't use such a large
MTU. So that means that you're doing IP fragmentation. That takes time and
causes even more overhead from headers.

UDP has an 8-byte header. IP has a 20 byte header. Ethernet supports an MTU
of 1500 bytes. So, first figure out what your tool means by 3000-byte
packet. Does it count headers? But probaby you want to test with 1472 at
most, assuming you're starting on an Ethernet link.

If you're starting on ATM, find out the MTU for the ATM interface.

So, add to my list of things that affect throughput (not bandwidth):

IP fragmentation and reassembly.

Thanks,

Priscilla