Heya Priscilla,

Thanks for the explaination. Is it safe to assume that Cisco routers do not
perform an all subnets broadcast? I found something off Google that I would
like to share with you guys. This is an excerpt from "TCP/IP Tutorial" by
IBM.

All-Subnets-Directed Broadcast Address

If the network number is a valid network number, the network is subnetted
and the local part is all ones (for example, 128.2.255.255), then the
address refers to all hosts on all subnets in the specified network. In
principle routers may propagate broadcasts for all subnets but are not
required to do so. In practice, they do not; there are few circumstances
where such a broadcast would be desirable, and it can lead to problems,
particularly if a host has been incorrectly configured with no subnet mask.
Consider the wasted resource involved if a host 9.180.214.114 in the
subnetted Class A network 9 thought that it was not subnetted and used
9.255.255.255 as a local broadcast address instead of 9.180.214.255 and all
of the routers in the network respected the request to forward the request
to all clients. If routers do respect all-subnets-directed broadcast
address, they use an algorithm called  reverse path forwarding to prevent
the broadcast messages from multiplying out of control. See RFC 922 for more
details on this algorithm.

I guess an important point here is whether routers respect the all-subnets
directed broadcast.

A question on the /32 entries in the routing table. I can understand that
each async line can only have one host at the remote end and therefore would
have a host route in the routing table. So how do the hosts on async lines
receive broadcasts? What would be their broadcast address? It would only
make sense that the broadcast packet was not delivered to the hosts
connected to Router 5. That is why the packets kept bouncing back and forth.
Otherwise it would have been delivered to the hosts and this problem would
not have surfaced.

Why is it that the all ones subnet was initially excluded as a valid subnet?
It would seem perfectly OK to me to use the all zeros and all ones subnet
numbers. I mean with prefix routing, these things can be distinguished. Like
you said, the problem discussed in the article was pretty 'artsy'.

As always, thank you so very much.

Wesley

""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> Wesley wrote:
> >
> > So there isn't a broadcast address for all /27 subnets?
>
> I don't think sending to all subnets of a network is something that IP
ever
> defined.

> > basically
> > understand that the last address of each subnet is reserved for
> > subnet
> > broadcast. I was just wondering if the broadcasting
> > architecture allowed for
> > all subnets to be broadcasted at once. And Mark, since you are
> > the only one
> > replying mind if you check out the CCO link in the original
>
> I hope Mark will answer too, but since we're the only ones talking now,
I'll