Forgot to point out my entry on Andrew's website of the (chromatic) cittern
fingerboard recovered from the wreck of the Trinidad Valencera. This ship
was one of the Armada vessels hired from Venice, so that the cittern COULD
be Italian.  However its size implies a string length (47cm) which does not
fit with any other extant Italian citterns, as also the outline and
arrangement of frets beyond the 12th.  The 18th fret was not present, as
usual, and the 19th is now broken away.  Depth is approximately 12mm
throughout.  Width is currently 45mm, enough for 6 courses, perhaps slightly
tapered to the nut, but we must remember that it has been underwater since
1588.  There are marks of strings at the nut but it is not now possible to
see the original arrangement.  There is a hole behind the nut which seems to
belong to a vertical central peg suggesting again 6 courses and a peg-block
rather than a peg-box.  Its cross-section clearly indicates a cut-away neck.

Ulster Museum, Belfast.  Illustrated in "Armada", The Official Catalogue
(Exhibition 1988), published by Penguin Books in association with the
National Maritime Museum, 1988.  ISBN 0-14-010301-5