About those twisted strings - I have 3 on my
orpharion: 2 that are more loosely twisted on the
5th course and the bass half of the 6th course
that is more tightly twisted. I got the strings
from NRI. The fifth course sounds better than the
6th, especially when fretted. When I first
started to play the orpharion it was hard to get
a good sound, but that has gradually gotten
better. I think the problems were less when I
played cittern because of the shorted thinner strings and using a pick.
Nancy

>>Doc,
>>
>>Out of curiosity, what did you find difficult to "get used to"?
>
>whistling noises from my r-h fingers.
>
>I'm going to try them again when I have the time to devote to it.
>They work well on the renaissance instrument.  How do yo get on with
>them?
>

>>-A:
>>
>>At 08:28 AM 2/4/2008, Gregory Doc Rossi wrote:
>>>I like Malcolm Rose iron and brass wire for the upper 4 courses. I've
>>>tried several things for basses, including twisted brass, silk-core
>>>and Savarez Argentines. I think the twisted brass probably sounds
>>>best, but I couldn't get used to them.  Bruce Brook made them for me
>>>and he suggested that I should try reverse wound.  The Argentines
>>>blend in the best and hold the tuning well.
>>>
>>>Can't wait to see and hear it, Frank.

Nancy Carlin Associates
P.O. Box 6499
Concord, CA 94524  USA
phone 925/686-5800 fax 925/680-2582
web site - www.nancycarlinassociates.com

Representing:
FROM WALES - Robin Huw Bowen, Crasdant, Neil &
Meg Browning's Never Mind the Bocs & Carreg
Lafar,  FROM ENGLAND - The City Waites, Jez Lowe,
& Jez Lowe & The Bad Pennies,  FROM FRANCE -
Gabriel Yacoub, FROM SPAIN - La Musga=F1a and now
representing EARLY MUSIC - The Venere Lute Quartet and Paul Beier

Administrator THE LUTE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
web site - http://LuteSocietyofAmerica.org