The case is anything but closed! In the spirit of continuing scrutiny and debate, I will be retaining the title of my page ("Cittern, 34cm mensur, possibly English, circa 1600"), though I plan to update it to reflect some of the more recent information now available (such as confirmation of measurements, woods used, and information about possible label readings).

Best,
Andrew

At 01:28 PM 2/7/2008, Cittern wrote:
Hi Andrew,

I expect they want it desperately want it to be an elizabethan cittern, but
it is most likely a restoration gittern. With four double courses and only 8
pegs it misses the triple third course that you would expect of an
Elizabethan instrument.

All the best
Mark
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Andrew Hartig [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2008 20:23
An: cittern
Betreff: [CITTERN] New page from NMM on English cittern

Hi all,

I am proud to pass along a link which just given to me to a new, very
comprehensive page by the National Music Museum in Vermillion, South
Dakota about the English cittern auctioned by Christie's last year.

http://www.usd.edu/smm/PluckedStrings/Citterns/English/13500/Cittern13500.ht
ml

The page contains a satisfying number of close-up images, which I am
sure you will all enjoy. There is also a new maker's name attributed
to the instrument: "Petrus Raitta."

All of this of course means that my own page is now out of date, but
I think I can deal with that. :-)

Best regards,
Andrew