Andrew Hartig wrote:
Hi all,

For those who are interested, the seller has offered for anyone to come and take a look at the instrument. In response to some of my inquiries, he has stated:

"I do not think there is anything modern about this but it depends what your definition of 'modern' is. You are welcome to examine this in person at my premises in Wellington Somerset if you so wish."

That's quite a way from where I live (three and a half hours drive); otherwise I'd go and have a look, just out of curiosity. A month or so ago, another cittern came up on Ebay, a Harwood and Isaacs instrument from the 1960s.

Here's what it looked like:

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/ebaycittern/

Stuart

and

"Agewise, difficult to be precise. Definately not a product of the modern folk revival, much older than that. Very good condition which belies it's age somewhat. Late C19th certainly possible i.e. Gothic / Medieval revival. Ist half of C20th also possible, I think there was an interest in Harpsicords and other Renaissance instruments up to the 50's. I honestly can't see it being later than that, and even that estimate is pushing the boat out a bit."

Is anyone interested in looking at the instrument to get an idea of age, maker? Personally, I think the seller has overestimated the age of the instrument...

If anyone is interested in contacting Richard (the seller), his email address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-A: