One of the techniques that I have used (and should probably do more
-- I'm a better player when I'm not looking at music!) is to memorize
"backwards," i.e. starting from the end.

I wish I could remember who suggested this to me, but I find that it
really works. The basic concept is that one is always working from
the least familiar to the more familiar as one progresses through the
piece. Start by finding a reasonable chunk of music, say the last 4
bars. Memorize. Once one is comfortable with those last 4 measures,
take another four so that one is working on the last 8 measures. In
such a way one can move toward the start of the piece. Again, one is
always working from least familiar territory to most familiar
territory. This helps to circumvent the usual problem of practicing
the same material at the beginning of the piece until things start to
fall apart and one can't remember the later parts.

Of course with this process (or any), it's always useful to look at
the work and divide it up mentally into sections, repeats, etc. (but
you know this!).

I also find that thinking about a particular piece, letting the sound
of it run in my head while I'm driving, doing dishes, etc. helps. I
then "visualize" myself playing it, especially once I've started
memorizing it. I recall where the frets are, visualize what my hand
must look like in any given position, imagine the very feel of the
individual strings and frets under my fingers. As silly as it sounds,
I find that this visualization is good for aiding memorization and
improving accuracy. I especially do these things as I am falling
asleep (assuming I'm not working out some other problem!), so I may
even dream about it too. Who knows? I find it helps.

Lastly, I always work in small chunks of both time and music. As I
don't get a lot of time at any one moment to sit down and play, this
works well for me anyway. But, it's like I tell my students about
memorizing vocabulary (or anything): short, repeated studying works
better than long sessions. A bass teacher I had, Todd Johnson,
likened learning to filling a coffee mug: your mind is the mug and
the material own needs to know is a full pot of coffee. One can keep
pouring, but one is not going to get any more coffee in the cup until
it has been digested. I believe Jacob Heringman also encourages this
approach. It has been quite some time since I've talked with him, but
last time I did he was really into playing for short periods of time
(15-30 minutes? I could be wrong), then going for a short walk or
doing something else.

Just my 2 cents,
Andrew