"Frank Nordberg" <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> > And the most common (Thuringian) "basszither" is tuned in open G
> > until nowadays.
>
> I was wondering about that. Wobersin (1922) states that the bass
> waldzither is tuned in open A but open G would of course fit much better
> with the tunings of the smaller instruments.
>
> Speaking of tuning, perhaps we also ought to mention that some modern
> British musicians use (tenor) waldzithers for Irish/British folk music,
> often tuning them in some variation of the GDAD/DADGAD theme.
>
> The tenor waldzither also works well in "guitar" tuning: A d g b e'
> There's even some historical precedence for this tuning. According to
> dr. Michel, one of the tunings used in Germany for the four course
> cittern during the 18th century was d g b e'.

Wobersin was a kind of "universal" musician. He edited music for Waldzither,
Wandervogellaute, Guitar (whatever was asked for in printout), and even a tutor
for the Portuguese Guitars fashionable in Germany before the first World War
(tuned in open C)

There are Bass Waldzithern in Thuringia in A, I have somewhere a chord scheme
for it, but the more common combination is Soprano (G)  for melodies like a
mandoling, Tenor (C) in chords plus melody and Bass (G) mostly for chords.

Myself I experimented much with several tonalities, (not different tunings) and
meanwhile I've "landed" at open A on my Tenorzither with a 50,5cm stringlength.
It fits my needs for songwriting best and I prefer the deeper sound.

The Coimbra Cittern is in A, too, but in the portuguese tuning.

best regards

Martina Rosenberger