on 10/5/08 2:39 am, Andrew Hartig at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I know the topic of "what constitutes an instrument as being a
> cittern" came up some time ago and was discussed in detail. A search
> of the archives should bring it up. One of the arguments came down to
> one of shared tuning vs. shared shape vs. perceived fulfillment of a
> particular role, etc.
>
> One thing I thought I might offer to this is a realization that
> finally dawned on me (but others may have mentioned before): At least
> for citterns of the 16th / early 17th century, they are all (or
> nearly all?) united by a common tuning of the top 3 courses, namely
> (from low to high) an interval of a fifth followed by a second. The
> varying factor then becomes the tuning of the other courses. This
> really helps to simplify the differences (or point out the
> commonality) of "Italian," "French," hexachord, "Toppel Cythar," and
> Virchi's tuning. Thought of in this way, there is really much less to
> have to learn in order to switch between the various instruments and tunings.
>
> If one pursues common tuning as the root of family relation, then
> instruments like the saz might be considered to be related through
> the use of an interval of a second between the first two courses (at
> least in some tunings?).
>
> Andrew
>

> At 11:14 PM 5/6/2008, Damien Delgrossi wrote:
>> Good Morning ,
>>
>> I have a question, an organologic one. I hope you'll can answer or
>> give an idea to open a debate. Can we considere Turkish Saz,
>> Bouzouki (greek, not the Irish one), Syro-Lebanese Buzuk, Napolitan
>> Colascione, Cretan Laouto... as Citterns?
>>
>> Have a good day,
>>
>> I hope this discussion will interested many citternfriends,
>>
>> Damien
>>

>> To get on or off this list see list information at
>> http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Yes, except for Spain where Minguet y Yrol have a second and a fourth - e',
d', a .  For a chromatic cittern (with guitar alfabeto equivalents) - they
dismiss the partially fretted cittern as defective.

It is surely better to regard them as different animals with particular
similarities - like cats and dogs?

Peter.