Dear cittern list members,

I was reading the first of book of "cythre ou guitthare allemande" by Abbot Carpentier and on a page he writes about the "guittare angloise" (english-guitar in old french) and gives the tuning :

from low to high : Ut-RĂ©-Sol-ut-mi-sol (C-D-G-C-E-G)

I would like to know if Abbot Carpentier did a mistake about this tuning or if it was an alternative to the usual tuning : C E G c e g ?

We can learn in this book several interesting things about french cistre and english-guitar. The english guitar was also played in paris and taught by Mr Reithre (only guittare angloise) and Mr Guerrier taught and played the french cistre (7 course and archicistre) and the English Guitar.

We can also notice that in the year 1770' the english-guitar was called english-guittar (guittare angloise) in Paris.

Thanks,

Damien

He mentions this tuning a couple of times both in words and in musical notation and he repeats it in his 'Methode'. I've only ever seen this tuning in Carpentier.

The tuning that would be like the French cistre would be: C-F-G-C-E-G and this is mentioned in a British publication of music by D. Ritter (who, I wonder, may be the same as the Mr Reithre mentioned by Carpentier?)

Damien, my French isn't very good. What do you think Carpentier is saying about the origin of the cistre? He talks about its existence in Germany and Flanders but doesn't mention Britain.

Stuart