Damien Delgrossi wrote:
Hi all,

A french cistre is in the workshop of an old instrument seller called Rodolphe Delcroix, in Nice, France.

Looks playable but expensive! :-)

http://www.musicantic.eu/instruments-a-cordes-pincees/cistres/cistre-francais-xviii-siecle_788_fr_D.html

Damien

This looks a bit strange to me. I don't think I've ever seen an 18th century cittern with a fretboard flush with the table (like an early guitar). The fretboard looks curved (?) but the bridge doesn't. The string arrangement given is OK, though.

I put up a picture of this on a gallery page of pictures of 18th century French cistres here:

http://www.tuningsinthirds.com/cythre/gallery.html

This instrument looks definitely a bit different - not just the guitar body shape (guitar shpaed guitars are not inknown).

Stuart

Internal Virus Database is out of date.