Stuart Walsh wrote:

I've been hunting through 19^th-century Scottish newspapers, and found
   the following interesting snippet:

   LONDON TUESDAY, MAY 15, 1849

   The Prussian Minister and Madame Bunsen entertained last Friday at
   dinner the Duchess of Sutherland, the Duke and Duchess of Argyle, the
Marquis of Stafford, Viscount and Lady Palmerston, the Hon. William and
   Mrs Cowper, Baron Heintze, and other distinguished guests. In the
   evening there was a select musical party, in which the principal
   performers of the German operas executed several pieces of national
music, and M. Rulhart of Wurzburg, performed with great success on the interesting popular instrument of South Germany, the zitter, or German
   guitar, improved by himself.

   Rob MacKillop

   --

Maybe someone on the Summit/Topica list might know something about it (and M. Rulhart)?

I wonder if the instrument was some kind of metal-strung waldzither or a gut-strung something like this:

http://www.studia-instrumentorum.de/MUSEUM/GITARREN/git_sachsen_inhalt.htm

I've just noticed that this site uses frames so you can't identify individual pages. Click on the link: Sister ("Deutsche Guitarre")

Stuart