Hi Damien,

there is a considerable body of literature from venetian Crete, especially
theatre plays but also poems. Most of it got printed in Venice back in the 17th
century and there are modern editions around as these texts are still
appreciated. I can't remember of the top off my head of any reference to cetra.
There are lots of references in "lagouto" in the long poem Erotokritos
http://el.wikisource.org/wiki/%CE%95%CF%81%CF%89%CF%84%CF%8C%CE%BA%CF%81%CE%B9%CF%84%CE%BF%CF%82
 which could be either the renaissance/baroque lute, the modern laouto or some
intermediate instrument.

Given the island's turbulent history I doubt any instruments would have
survived. Corfu and surrounding islands would be a better place to look for
them, as they stayed under venetian control till the end, and had strong
italian ties even after that.

Cheers
Stelios