Replying to Damien's enquiry about citole tuning's, I suspect that the current answer is that we don't know, and that it probably varied between musicians.

Christopher Page suggests that d, a, d', g' ("Voices and Instruments of the Middle Ages", 1987) is likely for the citole and other contemporary instruments.

Most recent work on the citole has been done by Kate Buehler-McWilliams; her web-site is at www.trombamarina.com

Other material is at   http://crab.rutgers.edu/-pbutler/citole.html

You may not yet know that the only remaining citole, formerly known as the Warwick castle gittern, has now been restored by Chris Egerton and is back on display at the British Museum, renamed as the Warwick Castle Citole. Chris gave a talk about its restoration to the Lute Society in April and took a party to see and discuss it.

Peter