Stuart Walsh wrote:

I suppose a cittern is more likely than a scheitolt-type instrument?

Yes and that's why I mentioned the article doesn't credit any source. If the word "Zither" is used in some source contemporary with or only slightly later than Telemann himself, it will definitely mean a cittern. But if the tale has passed through the fanciful mind of the average late 19th/early 20th C. musicologist, anything's possible.

I'm not even sure who first posted this article on the web. Turns out it appears at several other sites as well. The HOASM may be the original though - since it includes one or two typos not preent in the other copies.

Anyway, I've emailed the editor of HOASM and asked for more information but I don't really expect a reply.

There are known connections with Telemann and the mandora, and with duet arrangements for 11-course D-minor lute,

I was actually listening to Yepes' and Monden's recording of the lute duets (on guitars) while I wrote my first post. Really nice music even with such a heavy-handed treatment but I wish I had a proper *lute* recording of it as well.

A connection between Telemann and the mandora is news to me though.

but it would be interesting to find a cittern connection.

It would indeed. Maybe it's mentioned in the Telemann Werke Verzeichnis? The printed edition of the list has been crammed into only three volume so it's obviously not anywhere near complete but it's still possible a cittern work or two (if any ever existed) could have made it into it. Does anybody happen to have a copy they could check out?

Frank Nordberg
http://www.musicaviva.com
http://stores.ebay.com/Nordbergs-Music-Store?refid=store