From: Stuart Walsh <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
Date: Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:17 pm
Subject: [CITTERN] D. Ritter and other English guitar things
To: cittern list <cittern@cs.dartmouth.edu>

I went to the British Library today - the first time in years. You can order books online these days!

In Bland's "First Collection of Twenty Four Airs etc" (London) there are duets for "6 string guittar and 7-string guittar or a violin". I don't recall references to 7-string guittars. The lowest note in the music is G below C. So the tuning would be like a French cistre in C. I'm not sure, but I don't think I ever remember coming across a 7-string guittar, nor a reference to one.

I looked at Marella's "66 Lessons" (for a guittar in A) - with the major and minor in every key. ...but not the sharp or flat keys other than Bb. And about 40 are in A. But they all look very interesting and I'll get a microfilm. There's a bizarre piece called 'Pantomime'. And there are some interesting-looking duos and pieces with thoroughbass (all in A).

I looked at D. Ritter's "Lessons for the Guittar" (Rutherfords, London). Years ago I noted this on the title page: "the GUITTAR may be played in an easier & more compleat manner when the second string in the BASS is Tuned in D instead of E.". In France, Joseph Carpentier gives the tuning of the guitharre angloise several times as C,D, E, C,E,G. He also mentions a Mr Reithre (+Ritter?) at some points.

Some of Ritter's pieces do exploit the D in the bass. Here's one I wrote out today - a Rondeau in G major (acknowledgements to current thread on lute list) first without reverb and second with a bit of reverb which I think gives it a bit more flavour. A bit more practice might help too...!

(no reverb)

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/Ritterstaight.mp3

bit of reverb)

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/Ritter-reverb.mp3

But other pieces by Ritter - just simple little things - seem to be more difficult with the C-D-E-C-E-G tuning. I doubt that Ritter's tuning was widely used.

Stuart