On 18/10/2010 23:05, stelios christodoulou wrote:
I visited this museum in the summer. They have an english guitar by Longman&
Broderip (mentioned in the norwegian language info) that looked very much like
the one in this link:

http://www.studia-instrumentorum.de/MUSEUM/ZISTER/0628.htm . The info also named
Nicolai Benjamin Aall and his daughter Inger (possibly as past owners?
unfortunately I don't know norwegian)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolai_Benjamin_Aall

> From my tourist understanding of Norwegian history there were very strong
commercial and cultural ties between Norway and Britain in the 18th century, and
it would make sense for this instrument to have been introduced directly from
Britain to Norway, rather than via Denmark.

Cheers
Stelios

There were some discussions of Norwegian citterns (sistere, sitrenks?) a few years ago. You can find them here, if you scroll down and poke around:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cittern%40cs.dartmouth.edu/thrd7.html

At that time I uploaded a section from a book on citterns in Norway (in Norwegian).Frank Nordberg or Are Hansen translated some of it. I've got the scans of the pages, but not the translations. If Frank or Are still have the translation it might be interesting to upload them again.

Stuart