Hi there,

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 Petar wrote:

> [if this is the wrong list please advise - I'm a new subscriber]

It's the right list.

> I hope someone has been across this error whilst compiling from source on
> linux machine.
>
> /root/clamav-0.92rc2/clamd/server-th.c:558: undefined reference to
> `__xpg_strerror_r'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [clamd] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/clamav-0.92rc2/clamd'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/clamav-0.92rc2'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

It's usual to compile as a non-privileged user, and only do the final
'make install' plus things like configuration file changes as root.
That way, if there's a mistake, the damage should be limited.

> Am receiving same error at end of 'make' when compiling from source
> 0.92rc2 or 0.91.2 so points to an issue on my server but my linux
> skills are not good enough to fix it :-(
>
> Box is Debian 3.1...

If you're using Debian, why not use the Debian packages?  It's _much_
easier to keep on top of things using 'apt-get' update/upgrade than it
is to do everything yourself.  My personal preference is not to do it
that way, but if you use Debian then it tends to make it harder to do
everything by yourself.  So I'd say either use Debian and its packages
(which I do for a few desktop systems and backup servers) or else don't
use it and do things the long way around (which I do for most servers).

> This box is in production. I just updated its 'twin' to 0.92rc2 without
> issues.

It's not an identical twin, obviously. :)

--

73,
Ged.