On 2009-11-05 18:27, George R. Kasica wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:32:57 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:
>>

>> Hi there,
>>
>> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 aCaB wrote:
>>

>>> On our side we do a lot of QA
>>> I really believe something needs to happen here so that these type of
>>> bugs can be caught quickly before they affect a number of users.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>> I suspect that rather than QA, what you do is just a lot of hap-hazard
>> testing.  That's why, whenever I see a new release of ClamAV, first I
>> will suppress a groan and then, before I risk it on any of my servers,
>> I'll wait a while and watch the users' list to see how much trouble it
>> causes.  This approach serves me well, although I can't say I'm proud
>> of the fact that I'm letting a lot of poor innocents do my acceptance
>> testing for me.
>>

> OK...I'm probably going to PO a few folks here but you asked for
> opinions so I'll share one....
>
> We run about 50 Unix/Linux servers here...almost all are 32-bit RHEL4
> not an unknown distro by any means and what I'd suspect is easy to
> test on. Several more are Solaris 9, again a well known OS, and
> several more are Fedora Core 10, again a well known common OS build.

Hi,

We test ClamAV on several architectures and OSes:
Debian (etch, lenny, unstable) on various architectures (x86_64,
powerpc, sparc64, armv5tel, ...),
RHEL5.2 (x86-64), Solaris 10 (sparc), and Mac OS X (ppc).
Some of these tests are running on the GCC compile farm, some on our own
boxes, some on machines we have been kindly offered access for testing.
This of course can always be improved.

One of the build problems was an error when 'git' was not installed.
Unfortunately all of the machines we test ClamAV on have git in $PATH
(it is how it checks out the latest version).
For the next release we'll setup a buildhost that doesn't have git
installed.
The other problem (missing include unistd.h) only occurs on old
distributions, which we lack in our buildfarm.

We're currently investigating the possibility of using the OpenSUSE
build service to test the next ClamAV release on multiple Linux
distributions, including many old ones:
openSUSE 11.x, SLES/SLED 9/10/11, Fedora 10/11, RHEL 4/5, CentOS 5,
Mandriva 2009, xUbuntu 6.06/8.04/8.10/9.04

> This latest release had basic make issues in ALL THREE OS versions
> that should have been caught by simply typing make as it wouldn't even
> finish the make step without various patches....in my mind that
> doesn't qualify it as even ALPHA software much less BETA or a Release
> Candidate and surely not a Production Release version...please don't
> embarrass yourselves by saying you do alot of QA....that obviously
> didn't happen in this release and has been a problem in the last few
> releases....

We do more than just build tests for QA, but as you've realized the
build tests for old(er) OSes are currently insufficient.

> I expect better from a commercial company like SourceFire now that
> they own the product as a commercial concern...its the same codebase
> for free or paid users as far as I know, the differences is paying
> users get to call for support.

There are also certified binary packages available.

Best regards,
--Edwin