Paul Fisher writes:
 > > Have you looked at DOC++ as a JavaDoc replacement?  Does it measure up?
 > For some reason, I guess the last time I looked at it, it didn't
 > support JavaDoc, but it appears to now.  The bad news is that it's
 > non-free software.  The authors make a contradictory statement in that
 > they say it's distributed under the GPL, but if you use it
 > commercially, you're required to pay them.

 > I'll contact them about the discrepancy.

Good luck. I did that two times over the last 18 months
or so. No response whatsoever. Last time I looked it
hadn't moved in 6 months either.

The version I used had a variety of minor bugs,
and the annoyance of having to hack the sources
to get rid off the insanely large DOC++ plug.

I have said this before: the Right Thing to do
is get in touch with the Davenport and SGML-Tools
folks, and aim for a JavaDoc replacement that
works with the DocBook DTD. A few weeks the
SGML-Tools maintainer, Cees de Groot, said he'd
have to work on this for daytime job reasons.

The JDK JavaDoc is a patch of a hack, and worse
than HTML x.x IMO. I'd hate to see somebody wasting
time on writing a drop-in replacement for something
that will hopefully be abandoned.

Note that DOC++ also non-compliant markup ("///").
It also encourages a split between code using LaTeX
markup and code using HTML markup.

                                       b.