Bryce McKinlay ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> gcj cannot yet compile classpath from source code, because it cannot handle
> inner or anonymous classes. Work on these and other "JDK-1.1" features is in
> progress. In the mean time, gcj should be able to compile most of classpath with
> the aid of an intermediate bytecode compiler (ie Jikes).

This is interesting.  When does gjc plan to support inner classes?  These
are absolutely needed to implement parts of the API.

> 1. We need to change classpath code that use anonymous classes (eg some of the
> Collections Iterators) in order to integrate it with gcj.
> 2. We need to wait until gcj supports the required 1.1 features at the source
> level.
> 3. We need to modify the libgcj build process to use an intermediate bytecode
> compiler.
>
> Probibly 3 is the most attractive option, at least as an interim solution.

I agree.  It might be nice to be able to specify a compiler to use when
building the Java parts of gjc anyway.

> BTW - Will I need to sign another copyright assignment form in order to
> contribute to classpath? I have already done an FSF one for gcc stuff, and a
> Cygnus one for libgcj.

Paul Fisher ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) is the one to contact about this.

--
Aaron M. Renn ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/