Chris Gray wrote:

However it still seems to me that GPL+exception excludes the possibility of
binary-only distributions, something which we do not wish to exclude.
My reading is that it excludes binary-only distribution of modified
libraries, which we *do* want to exclude.

Admittedly there seems to be little reason why a systems integrator would
need to make proprietary modifications to a core package such as java.awt (as
opposed to wonka.rudolph.peers), but still I can imagine cases where the GPL
would impose on the system integrator the obligation to provide source code
to anyone who asked.
I think that is a feature, not a bug in the license.  We want to
encourage people to submit improvements.
--
	--Per Bothner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.bothner.com/per/