Hi Ken,

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 16:09 -0500, Ken Larson wrote:
> System.out.println(FileFormat.BINARY) and run it against Sun's
> implementation.  I find out that the value is 1, and I put that in my
> implementation.
>
> Is this legit for the purposes of contribuing to classpath?

Normally public constants are listed in the public documentation.
Otherwise you can look them up in the O'Reilly or Addison-Wesley books.
Checking constants to make sure different implementations use the same
public interface is fine. In general public user visible constants like
this should be similar to make us more compatible with other
implementations (especially since constants are embedded into the .class
file when compiling sources) so programs work as is with our
implementation. You can also add a Mauve test to make sure we stay
compatible.

Cheers,

Mark