Jeroen Frijters wrote:
Some VMs require all Java threads to run upto a garbage collection barrier before garbage collection can be performed. If a Java
thread never leaves JNI code then this will never happen and the
VM deadlocks.

Why not fix the VM? Real world applications are likely to have this
issue as well, besides how is this any different from blocking on I/O
inside a JNI method for a very long time?

I agree.. any thread that's running JNI code is cannot possibly
affect the state of the VM until if/when it either returns or
invokes a JNI method. Therefore there's (in theory) no need to wait
for it to return in order to do anything.

-Archie