Stuart> Suppose somebody compiles code like this against the JDK:
Stuart> DataTypeFactory dft = (DataTypeFactory)
Stuart> Class.forName(DatatypeFactory.DATATYPEFACTORY_IMPLEMENTATION_CLASS);

Stuart> I don't know *how* this problem should be solved. Clearly my opinion
Stuart> is that Sun screwed up bigtime by putting this into a constant field.

Yeah, this is a mistake.

We can "fix" this by changing our constant's value and then simply
ignoring it later on in newInstance.  I don't think there's any valid
way to replace com.sun.* classes, and this code (in theory -- our
implementation is incomplete, I filed a PR) uses the service factory
stuff to find replacement implementations anyway.

Tom