You should learn the thrift api directly, in the end it's usually the
fastest and easiest way (instead of using CRUD / object to cassandra
mapping or similar layer).

After you have learned the basics you might want to try my php wrapper
from http://github.com/dynamoid/cassandra-utilities

 - Juho Mäkinen