its not a step backwards though the emphasis was to remove burden from the
client developers.  The value of a cassandra column could be 2GB but you
were limited by a thrift frame. Now with the native protocol you can now
throw huge objects in a column users can find new uses to use/break the
database. Before you had to break that up across columns.